FAQ - Outgoing Students

FAQ - Outgoing Students
FAQ Outgoing Students

Check out our 28 partner universities, including high-ranked ones like University of Pennsylvania, University of Edinburgh or our founding partner Rice University: here.

During a semester abroad, you will be able to experience new cultures and solidify your own international professional network with students, professors, staff and everyone else you got to know from your host country. Since we are partnering with many high-ranked universities, you will be able to benefit from the education offered there. A study abroad semester also impresses a lot of employers since it proves your ability to quickly adapt to new environments and is indicative of a broadened scope of mind.

The opportunity to spend a semester at a partner university is included in your tuition at Jacobs University. This means: You still have to pay the tuition at Jacobs University, when you spend a semester abroad, but you do not have to pay any tuition at any of our partner universities.

You are eligible to receive a partial scholarship depending on your GPA and financial need as long as you send us your form together with your study abroad application.

Yes. Most of our partner universities offer courses in English, but in case you would like to study in your host country’s language, you need to have a command of the respective language on the B2 level.

Yes, you can.

A maximum of three.

Yes. Treat each application as what it is – its own application. Applying to multiple study abroad destinations will necessitate multiple applications and therefore multiple motivation letters.

It is standard protocol that the home institution receives tuition and that the receiving institution waives tuition in an exchange partnership.

No. A semester abroad should entail new cultural experiences and these are hardly found in a semester abroad back home.

Many of our partner universities have certain entry requirements which we must respect. Moreover, a change in educational system, language, culture, and setting requires a good academic standing in order to spend a successful semester abroad.

Nonetheless, students with a GPA of 2.33 – 2.67 are still encouraged to apply; however, a nomination to study abroad cannot be guaranteed as it is subject to partner’s admission regulations.

No. You can indicate the amount you would like to receive from us, and we decide which funding scheme to use.

By following this link.

No. The Bachelor Thesis (10 ECTS) can only be registered earliest in the 6th semester at Jacobs University and must be conducted under the supervision of a Jacobs University faculty member.

Yes, students may bring more than 20 ECTS from their study abroad. You need to complete a course load worth of 20 ECTS to transfer back your Study Abroad module. The courses in the module have to be major related. Any course you take above that will appear in your transcript as well but cannot be guaranteed to count towards your Jacobs degree.

Yes, students going abroad may apply for semester ticket dispensation. This means that outgoing students will not pay for a semester ticket, however other university fees still apply. Once this option is chosen, students will not receive a semester ticket, and it will not be possible to receive it at a later moment in the semester. To apply for the dispensation, please use this form.

A liberal arts program is a transdisciplinary program that includes a wide variety of courses, ranging from social sciences and economics to the natural sciences. Although the courses offered in a such program are diverse, there may not be sufficient courses offered in a specific major (e.g. economics), so it may sometimes be difficult for students to take enough ECTS credits of major-related courses. Therefore, extra planning and scrutiny on behalf of the outgoing student is necessary.